By supporting more people in Scotland to walk, wheel, and cycle for everyday short journeys, we will improve health, create safer communities, and reduce environmental impacts. (Paths for All)
Supporting more people in Scotland to walk, wheel and cycle and use sustainable transport is the goal at the heart of Sustaining Choices.
Funded by Paths for All ‘Smarter Choices, Smarter Places’, Sustaining Choices is designed to assist communities across Scotland to develop Sustainable and Active Travel Action Plans for their area.
Through a year-long programme of support, participating communities
- Develop engagement skills with our SP=EED Verification training
- Map key stakeholders and plan an inclusive engagement process
- Hold conversations with community members using the Place Standard tool
- Gather data about community needs and aspirations
- Publish a Sustainable and Active Travel Action Plan for their community with short, medium and long term actions
PAS works alongside communities throughout the programme to provide training, coaching, project management, data analysis, report writing and publishing.
By the end of the project, with a final action plan providing a strong evidence base to support sustainable transport interventions, communities are well placed to
- Drive forward local developments
- Apply for funding and investment
- Increase awareness of sustainable and active travel opportunities
- Continue with inclusive community engagement initiatives
‘Receiving the training and support from PAS through Sustaining Choices has been brilliant in establishing confidence in our community facilitators as we progress to running our own Local Place Plan.’
Nicky Patterson, Community Development Officer, Kinning Park Complex
Current participants in Sustaining Choices (2022) are:
- Garnock Valley, Glasgow Eco Trust, Kilmadock Development Trust, Milnbank Housing Association, Oban, and Ullapool Community Trust.
Past participants in Sustaining Choices (2021) include:
- Rattray, Garve, Wester Hailes, Bishopbriggs, Kinning Park, Peterhead North, Anstruther
If you’d like to find out more or if you are a community interested to take part in a future cohort, please contact Erin Fulton, Community Development Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.